Friday, December 6, 2013

Recent Infatuation: Gunne Sax

I don't know where it started - I suspect Etsy - but at some point I began to long for a Gunne Sax dress. To be specific, I adore the coquettish, prairie designs of the 1970s.

LittleNetties
 

Gunne Sax, so named for the "gunny sack" or burlap trim used on some of the earlier dresses,was founded in the 1960s. In 1969 it was purchased by Jessica McClintock. Yes, the very Jessica McClintock who made your coveted homecoming dress in 1995.

via The Dusty Dog Vintage
The brand is often associated with its 1970s prairie designs with Victorian and Edwardian details.I adore how the designs took classic elements such as lace, gingham, and calico, and combined them in a way that turned late-19th and early-20th century American fashion on its head.
 
via Rosebud Vintage

Gunne Sax also manufactured renaissance- and medieval-inspired designs, with empire waistlines and middle plackets, and used other historical costume elements such as corset-like laced bodices.


via The Vintage Bazaar and possibly my personal favorite

Despite all the Victorian-ness these babies are actually rather sexy. Everything is (mostly) covered up, but designs with decolletage-baring necklines, corset lacing, and tailored bodices are, as I said above, coquettish. The body-skimming tailoring doesn't hurt either.

via Hellhound Vintage Clothing
Sign. Me. Up.






2 comments:

Sami said...

I wore the first dress pictured on the page. Loved that dress. Thanks for posting it.

Sami said...

I wore the first dress pictured on the page. Loved that dress. Thanks for posting it.