Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lessons in fab: throwing an UnBirthday party

Every summer I say goodbye to my sweet Emily for a few weeks while she visits with her dad. This means each summer I miss her birthday. I know...it makes me sad too. But this year, that sweet husband of mine suggested we throw our poppet an early birthday; an UnBirthday, if you will.

It has been a few years since I last threw a party of any sort so I began stressing immediately. I had about a thousand ideas and so little time to execute them all. I mean, have you seen all the party photos out in the blogosphere?  People know how to throw a PARTY!  I knew I wouldn't be able to live up to all the internet fab nor my own expectations.  Luckily, I have Ben to remind me that throwing a good party is just like anything else - it takes practice.
We plan, we party, we learn, we repeat. 
That guy is so smart.

Just in case you don't have time to practice before your next big party I thought I'd share what I learned about throwing a party that is definitely eight-year-old approved.

1. Pick a theme.

I did some detective work and discovered Em wanted a party that centered around Disney's Tangled, and involved a pinata.

I'll be honest, I don't much care for children's themes. Don't get me wrong, I really like Tangled, but I didn't want to have Rapunzel and Flynn plastered on every surface.  The color palette however...

Tangled movie still via Polka Dot

2. Select fabulous invitations from an amazing stationary store.


Oi 'Hip Hip Hooray' invitation from Akimbo

3.  Practice your confection artistry before the big day.



My inspiration via Raspberri Cupcakes

My pancake-thin first layer. The day before the party. Whoops.

4. Entertain...


Making masks and crowns

5. ...entertain...


pin the hair on Rapunzel

More on that part below.*

6. ...entertain.


But try to not get your adult guests killed.


7. Provide good eats...



...or have your guests scavenge for their own.



8. Dish up your less-than-perfect but incredibly delicious cake creation.




9. Stop, breath, and enjoy!



10. Oh, and a few more things...

The ice in your freezer is nowhere near enough. Buy a big bag.

If the choice is between the roomy, sunny porch, and the smaller shaded patio, plan on everyone hanging on the patio.

Make your hamburger patties the night before. It might mean the difference between having your husband at the party and having him inside sipping a martini while furiously pounding out meat pucks.


*I see you jealously eying my Rapunzel game and who can blame you? The lovely Alicia Parsons of Akimbo designed it for just this occasion.



Lucky for you, Alicia is as magnanimous as she is lovely and is letting me offer it to you! Just right click on each of the images above above and tell them to "open link in new tab." Once the image URL opens, right click again and select save as. Voila! You now have you very own Akimbo print! Enjoy!

And if you have any party tip, mishaps, or stories, please share them in the comments section. I love hearing from you!

1 comment:

woolies said...

Now, THAT looks like a great party!
Happy UnBirthday!